Princeton’s Historic Resources     A Service of the Historic Preservation Commission

Home   2015 Survey   Search   Districts   Styles   Classes

   238 John Street

PROPERTY INFORMATION

Historic Name

238 John Street

Address

238 John Street

Tax Parcel

1114_15.04_73

Historic District

Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District

Classification

Contributing

Number of Resources

1

Style

Bungalow

Number of Stories

2

Material

Vinyl

Historic Function

Domestic

Current Function

Domestic

Last Entry Update

2/9/2020


DESCRIPTION

Setting

Description

The property contains a 1.5-story Bungalow; its design is very similar to that of 240 John Street. The key features of the core are its dormer, incised front porch, and asymmetrical gable. The core has an end-gabled roof facing east to John Street. The roof is clad with asphalt shingles. The front dormer has a shed roof, vinyl-clad walls, and two sets of paired 1x1 windows with wood surrounds featuring lip lintels. The frame walls of the house are clad with vinyl. Windows are replacement 1x1 double hung sash units. The main feature of the east elevation is the incised porch; four thin columns connected by a delicate railing extend along the outer perimeter of the porch. A frame set of steps leads down to the grade of the lawn. On the porch, the replacement door is located in the south bay, south of a paired window unit.

The end walls of the house differ widely but provide the clearest view of the asymmetrical gable. The north end has a single rank of windows near the northwest corner, plus two rectangular windows in the stucco- clad foundation. The south end features two second floor windows offset to the west and aligned over a small rectangular bay with two windows. Below the bay are two horizontal basement windows.

On the rear of the building is a small shed-roofed addition that is aligned with the south wall of the small rectangular bay. It has a thick cornice, vinyl siding on its frame walls, and a concrete foundation.


HISTORY

Built

1925

Architect

 

Builder

 

History

The house was constructed c. 1925. Historic maps as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918 show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the Franklin Survey map of 1930 and appears on all subsequent historic maps and aerials.

Sources


LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS

UPDATE

If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database.


PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY


2015 Photo
238 John Street, east and north elevations


2015 Photo
238 John Street, main (east) elevation


2015 Photo
238 John Street, south elevation


HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS

All information on this site is © the Princeton HPC and should not be used without attribution.