PROPERTY INFORMATION |
Historic Name |
Paul Robeson House |
Address |
108-110 Witherspoon Street |
Tax Parcel |
1114_17.02_55 |
Historic District |
Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District |
Classification |
Key Contributing |
Number of Resources |
1 |
Style | Other |
Number of Stories |
2 |
Material |
Aluminum |
Historic Function |
Domestic |
Current Function |
Domestic |
Last Entry Update |
2/8/2020 |
DESCRIPTION |
Setting |
|
Description |
The house is a 2.5-story, 4-bay building facing east onto Witherspoon
Street with a rear addition. Its key features are its cross-gable and
thick molded eaves. The roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features a
centered cross-gable on the east elevation. The eaves are clad with
vinyl, and the frame walls are clad with aluminum siding. Fenestration
consists primarily of replacement 1x1 double hung sash units, arranged
mostly symmetrically. The main (east) elevation features a window in the
cross gable, four second floor windows, and three wall openings on the
first floor: a window, the main entrance (replacement door), and a
picture window occupying the northern two bays. A set of concrete steps
leads up to the entrance. The house was constructed a half level above
the sidewalk, and a former entrance into the basement near the southeast
corner has been converted into a window. The foundation is stuccoed. The
end walls of the house feature two attic windows, two windows on the
second floor, and one on the first. A 2-part, 2-story addition on the
rear (west) elevation has a shed roof, aluminum walls, and a stuccoed
foundation. |
HISTORY |
Built |
1842 |
Architect |
|
Builder |
|
History |
The house was constructed c. 1842.
James S. Green sold the parcel in the year 1841 to Spencer Sauck. Sauck
died c. 1844, and the property was sold to James Burton, who then died c.
1847.
Anthony Simmons, a local black caterer, purchased the house from the
Burton estate in 1847, and he lived here for 22 years. During his
residence here, Simmons helped to found the Presbyterian school where
Betsey Stockton taught. Simmons died c. 1868; in his will, Simmons left
the property to the Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church for use as a
manse.
The best known Presbyterian minister who lived in the house was Reverend
William Drew Roberson, who lived here with his family in the late 19th
century. His son, Paul Robeson (1898-1976), famous black actor, athlete,
singer and political activist, was born here. Paul attended the
segregated public school on Green Street. When Reverend Robeson joined
the AME Zion Church the family moved first to Westfield, then to
Somerville. The Robesons retained many friends in Princeton, however, and
returned often to visit. Paul Robeson’s book, Here I Stand (1958),
contains an account of the family’s experiences in Princeton.
In 1936, the Presbyterian Church lost the title to the property, and it
was auctioned in a sheriff sale. The Princeton Savings and Loan
Association purchased it at the auction and owned it 1936-1949. Later
owners were Millie Ellerbe (1949-1965) and Gladys Taylor (1965-2005). The
Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church purchased the property in 2005.
The basement at the corner was a lounge for African Americans who worked
at the university. It served as a place for the Colored YMCA and was the
location for Mr. David Graham’s Barber Shop. |
Sources |
NJ Historical Commission, "Black Historic Sites in New Jersey," 1984; HPC information |
UPDATE |
If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database. |
|
PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY |
2015 Photo
Paul Robeson House
|
|