PROPERTY INFORMATION |
Historic Name |
230-234 Birch Avenue |
Address |
230-234 Birch Avenue |
Tax Parcel |
1114_6903_2 |
Historic District |
Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District |
Classification |
Contributing |
Number of Resources |
1 |
Style | Other |
Number of Stories |
2 |
Material |
Brick |
Historic Function |
Domestic |
Current Function |
Domestic |
Last Entry Update |
2/20/2020 |
DESCRIPTION |
Setting |
|
Description |
The property contains the westernmost of the six Rainbow houses, T-
shaped twins that were originally more similar in appearance. The
building has a low-pitched hipped roof with a rectangular brick chimney
on the ridge and extended eaves. The walls are brick-clad. Fenestration
consists of replacement 1x1 double hung sash windows, arranged
symmetrically over the wall surface: two bays facing the street and four
on the side walls. The entrances are replacement doors located on the
fronts of the crossbar sections, set back from the street; a hipped roof
over the entrance is supported by a corner iron post and accessed by
brick stairs leading down to grade. The house has a concrete foundation
with horizontal basement windows. |
HISTORY |
Built |
1930 |
Architect |
|
Builder |
|
History |
The Rainbow Houses were constructed c. 1930 by Edgar Palmer's company,
Princeton Municipal Improvement, Inc. Historic maps show a vacant parcel in
this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918, part of the former
Albert S. Leigh Farm. This house and the other Rainbow Houses appear on all
historic aerials beginning with 1931. |
Sources |
|
UPDATE |
If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database. |
|
PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY |
2015 Photo
230 Birch Avenue, north and east elevations
|
2015 Photo
230-234 Birch Avenue, north elevation
|
2015 Photo
234 Birch Avenue, north and west elevations
|
|