PROPERTY INFORMATION |
Historic Name |
206 Birch Avenue |
Address |
206 Birch Avenue |
Tax Parcel |
1114_6903_6 |
Historic District |
Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District |
Classification |
Contributing |
Number of Resources |
1 |
Style | Other |
Number of Stories |
2 |
Material |
Aluminum |
Historic Function |
Domestic |
Current Function |
Domestic |
Last Entry Update |
2/20/2020 |
DESCRIPTION |
Setting |
|
Description |
The property contains the east half of one of the six Rainbow houses, T-
shaped twins that were originally more similar in appearance. The
building has a low-pitched hipped roof with a rectangular brick chimney
on the ridge and extended eaves. The walls are clad with aluminum siding.
Fenestration consists of replacement 6x1 double hung sash windows, with
inoperable shutters on the north elevation. The windows are arranged
symmetrically over the wall surface: two bays facing the street and four
on the side walls (some windows have been sealed or reduced in size). The
entrance is a replacement door located on the front of the crossbar
section, set back from the street. It opens on a hipped roof porch with a
railing that flows down the brick steps to the grade of the lawn. The
house has a concrete foundation with horizontal basement windows. |
HISTORY |
Built |
1930 |
Architect |
|
Builder |
|
History |
The Rainbow Houses were constructed c. 1930 by Edgar Palmer's company,
Princeton Municipal Improvement, Inc. Historic maps show a vacant parcel in
this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918, part of the former
Albert S. Leigh Farm. This house and the other Rainbow Houses appear on all
historic aerials beginning with 1931. |
Sources |
|
UPDATE |
If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database. |
|
PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY |
2015 Photo
206 Birch Avenue, north and east elevations
|
2015 Photo
206-210 Birch Avenue, north elevation
|
|