PROPERTY INFORMATION |
Historic Name |
198 Birch Avenue |
Address |
198 Birch Avenue |
Tax Parcel |
1114_6903_8 |
Historic District |
Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District |
Classification |
Contributing |
Number of Resources |
1 |
Style | Other |
Number of Stories |
2 |
Material |
Aluminum |
Historic Function |
Domestic |
Current Function |
Domestic |
Last Entry Update |
2/20/2020 |
DESCRIPTION |
Setting |
|
Description |
The property contains the east half of one of the six Rainbow houses, T-
shaped twins that were originally more similar in appearance. The
building has a low-pitched hipped roof with a rectangular brick chimney
on the ridge and extended eaves. The walls are clad with vinyl siding.
Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 and 6x1 double hung sash
windows. The windows are arranged symmetrically over the wall surface:
one bay facing the street and four on the side walls. The entrance is a
cottage door with six inset lights above two vertical panels, located on
the front of the crossbar section, set back from the street. The door
appears to be one of the few original doors surviving on a Rainbow house,
opening onto a shed roof porch. The house has a concrete foundation with
horizontal basement windows. |
HISTORY |
Built |
1930 |
Architect |
|
Builder |
|
History |
The Rainbow Houses were constructed c. 1930 by Edgar Palmer's company,
Princeton Municipal Improvement, Inc. Historic maps show a vacant parcel in
this location as late as the Sanborn atlas of 1918, part of the former
Albert S. Leigh Farm. This house and the other Rainbow Houses appear on all
historic aerials beginning with 1931. |
Sources |
|
UPDATE |
If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database. |
|
PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY |
2015 Photo
198 Birch Avenue, north and east elevations
|
2015 Photo
198-202 Birch Avenue, north elevation
|
|