PROPERTY INFORMATION |
Historic Name |
12-14 Quarry Street |
Address |
12-14 Quarry Street |
Tax Parcel |
1114_17.02_50 |
Historic District |
Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District |
Classification |
Contributing |
Number of Resources |
1 |
Style | Other |
Number of Stories |
2 |
Material |
Wood |
Historic Function |
Domestic |
Current Function |
Domestic |
Last Entry Update |
2/13/2020 |
DESCRIPTION |
Setting |
|
Description |
Two story raised foundation gable roof twin residence with ridge parallel
to the street and some Italianate details. Roof has small, banded brick
chimneys found at crest at each end, and slightly extended eaves. Each
half is a three bay front with the outer one over one windows closer to
each other than the two central windows aligned with the entry doors
below. The full width four equal bay hip roof porch has turned posts and
plain railings; it is a major element of the house. A broad center stair
with a dividing railing occupies most of the middle bays. There is a deep
full width two story shed roof extension in the rear. The windows on the
east facade are different than the west. On the east, working forward
there is a single and two pairs over a single, a pair and a single. The
west has fewer windows, three on the second floor. There are small brick
chimneys at each gable end. |
HISTORY |
Built |
1910 |
Architect |
|
Builder |
|
History |
The house was constructed c. 1910.
The original building on the property was an African American school
operated by the Presbyterian congregation. James S. Green sold the parcel
to trustees of the First Presbyterian Church of Color in Princeton in
1854; the names of the trustees were listed in the deed as Anthony
Simmons, Mathias VanHorn, Peter Lane, James Titus, Thomas Beekman,
Silvenus Vandike, and Thomas Funike. The trustees constructed the initial
building on the property, set back off the street. The school building
appears on historic maps from 1890 to 1906. The original purpose of the
school was alleviated when Douglass Hall was constructed as the public
school for African American children in Princeton.
The school building was demolished soon after 1906, after which the
current house was constructed. The current house appears on maps
beginning with the Sanborn of 1911. |
Sources |
|
UPDATE |
If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database. |
|
PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY |
2015 Photo
12-14 Quarry Street, north elevation
|
2015 Photo
12-14 Quarry Street, north and east elevations
|
2015 Photo
12-14 Quarry Street, north and west elevations
|
|