PROPERTY INFORMATION |
Historic Name |
212 John Street |
Address |
212 John Street |
Tax Parcel |
1114_15.04_6 |
Historic District |
Witherspoon-Jackson Historic District |
Classification |
Contributing |
Number of Resources |
1 |
Style | Other |
Number of Stories |
2 |
Material |
Stucco |
Historic Function |
Domestic |
Current Function |
Domestic |
Last Entry Update |
2/9/2020 |
DESCRIPTION |
Setting |
|
Description |
The property contains a 2-story house with a 2-story rear addition. The
key feature of the core is its balcony on the east elevation. The core
has an end-gabled roof facing east to John Street. The roof is clad with
asphalt shingles and features aluminum eaves. The walls are stuccoed.
Windows are replacement unit with simulated divided lights; they are
aligned vertically on the two main floor levels but are not symmetrically
spaced. On the main (east) elevation, the second floor has a replacement
door in the offset center bay that opens onto the balcony above the front
porch; the balcony has a light iron railing. The first floor has a
replacement door near the northeast corner with two windows to the south.
Four banded square posts support the balcony to shade the first floor. A
set of concrete steps leads down from the grade of the porch to the lawn,
with a concrete walk continuing to the gate through the brick wall.
The south end of the core features two second floor windows, one first
floor window, and a horizontal basement window in the stucco clad
foundation. The north end features no windows on the main floors but a
square basement window.
The rear addition is a full-length section that extends the house to the
west. It has a gabled roof clad with asphalt shingles and a small brick
chimney at the west end of the ridge. The walls are stuccoed.
Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 double hung sash windows,
arranged in three bays on the north wall and five on the south wall. Some
windows on the south wall are paired, with a segmental arch above the
paired unit. A small gabled hood protects a rear entrance located atop a
small brick stoop. The section has several horizontal basement windows in
the concrete foundation.
The garage is a 1-story, 1-bay building in the rear of the lot. It has a
pyramidal roof and a wide bay facing east. |
HISTORY |
Built |
1893 |
Architect |
|
Builder |
|
History |
The house was constructed c. 1893. Historic maps as late as the map of 1890
show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the map of
1895 and appears on all subsequent historic maps and aerials. |
Sources |
|
UPDATE |
If you have additional information or corrections to the existing information, send an email to ekim@princetonnj.gov.
Submitted information is reviewed by the Princeton HPC prior to updating the database. |
|
PHOTO FROM 2015 SURVEY |
2015 Photo
212 John Street, east and north elevations
|
2015 Photo
212 John Street, east elevation
|
2015 Photo
212 John Street, east and south elevations
|
|